Friday, May 2, 2008

A RED LETTER DAY(?)

It's been a few days (okay weeks) since I posted last (with the exception of the 20 Things I Love list last night), so here's what's been keeping me busy ...
On Thursday, April 24, I was at work (minding my own business I might add) when I get a call from FOS. He had just been to the ophthalmologist to get his eyes checked. As the exam was ending, FOS mentioned to the doctor that he had a black "spot" in one of his eyes. The doctor looked and found a retinal tear. He immediately called another ophthalmologist and had FOS drive to that location. The second doctor found an additional retinal tear! FOS had his eye lasered in two spots to "weld" the tears. The doc said one of the areas was right on a nerve and FOS said it was the most pain he had been in (including brain surgery - I'm not kidding). HELLO! I'm a mom! and I'm at work! I can't take that information over the phone. I was supposed to be there, holding his hand and saying loving words to get him through the trauma! How could he handle it without me?

Okay, it's still April 24th and I was still at work. FYS then called me to tell me that the hand specialist he had just visited said he needed surgery on his broken hand! WHAT? How much can I take in one day? Let me just say that FYS got the broken hand the weekend before in a little "altercation" (of course he was defending someone's honor!). Holy crap! I was on overload. The surgery would require FYS to have an external fixator (pin sticking out of his hand). Hooray! The news just keeps getting better and better! Crap, crap, crap.

Moving ahead to April 28th (the day of the surgery and also MOMD's birthday) -- the surgery went well and FYS did well. He is his own comedy routine everyday but especially when coming out of the anesthesia. He asked the nurse out to lunch (which he also did when he had his wisdom teeth removed AND his nose surgery), told her that she was the cutest thing he had ever seen (she had a 23 year old daughter and 17 year old son), and kept asking me if I wanted to take his picture. I did take his picture just to satisfy him. Salt Lake Regional did an awesome job of taking care of both of us (although they did not give me drugs). I did an awesome job of being a mom and supporting FYS.



3 comments:

Adrian said...

Oh my gosh. Poor boys. Your life does crack me up though susan...you have been lagging behing a bit since your boys have gotten older. I was in need of a good FYS, FOS story. Thanks. I hope everyone mends well. I would check into getting yourself a Rx though!

Gail said...

Oh how we love any stories about your cute boys, especially when it involves 'fys' hitting on older women. I hope they both have a speedy recovery.

snakeriverwalton said...

You didn't say if FYS got that date with the nurse. Maybe she's into groggy younger men. It wouldn't be the first time. Thanks for the laughs. I'm sorry you were stuck at work through all of this.