Friday, April 4, 2008

Is anybody else out there excited for conference weekend? I am, and I think it's more than just being able to watch church on TV in my pajamas (although that is a major PLUS). During conference I'm planning on doing a little scrapbooking, a little crocheting, and listening to what my leaders are telling me (or at least trying to tell me). I always feel a little more committed(?), motivated(?), or even just aware of my life and blessings after general conference. Hopefully this conference will be the same and I hope I will be able to stay committed(?), motivated(?), and aware a little longer than Monday morning.

I am kind of excited (I know, I'm a geek) about officially sustaining the new prophet. I have been praying that I will have a personal testimony before the sustaining vote that President Monson has been called of God to this position. While I have not had any dramatic occurrences or heavenly visitors, I KNOW that he is our leader for this time in the Church. I still miss President Hinckley though. What a great man he was (and still is)!

My dear friend, Adrian,has inspired me to find my "word" -- something to represent a goal or challenge or even just something for me to be more mindful of. Rather than make resolutions that are easily breakable, my word just stays with me as long as I need it/want it to. I can work on it or toward it in whatever situation applies at the time. It doesn't matter what the word is, as long as it applies to me and means something to me. I have been struggling with finding the perfect word and at first, I thought that STRIVE may be the word. It wasn't a perfect fit for me though. Then I was trying on the word TRY for size. It felt better than STRIVE (and less pompous, at least for me), but it still wasn't an exact fit. Today I am leaning toward PREPARE. Whoa! I think that feels pretty good and really fits in with a bunch of meanings for me. I'll let you know how well it fits in the days to come. (Come to think of it though, TRY fits in with a bunch of meanings/directions for me too! This is really harder than it sounds!) I may need two words. Oh wait - This is America! I can have as many words as I want! :)

2 comments:

Adrian said...

Susan...I love reading your thoughts. And I'm sorry, but even though this is America...you are only allowed ONE word. Pick one already DAMNIT! J/K! I am glad you are taking this word thing seriously!!! I love my word. Not sure if I have made many changes, but I am definetly thinking about it.

snakeriverwalton said...

I love your word and I have been trying to think of one too. After conference and the talk from the primary lady, I am thinking of the word TRADITION. And don't let Adrian make you feel bad with her swearing. That d-- word must be her new word for the year!