Sunday, September 21, 2008

You Can't Fly Under The Radar

I thought I had church all figured out. I sat on the back row in the corner every week at Sacrament Meeting (so as not to be in the Bishop's line of sight. I attended Relief Society just enough so that my name wouldn't go on the inactive list (just kidding - I don't think there is an inactive list, is there?) I have NEVER attended an Enrichment Night or a Super Saturday so as not to draw attention to myself (in spite of being on the Enrichment Night Committee). I NEVER attended an Enrichment Committee meeting, but rather just let them assign me the invitations. I was willing to make meals and do all those other Mormon girl things, but I didn't want to get involved. My calling of Visiting Teaching Coordinator was enough for me and the perfect amount of commitment. (I'm so bad at commitment.) Once a month all my Visiting Teaching Supervisors would call me with their lists and then I would go to the church and fill out my report, all the while congratulating myself for flying under the ward radar. Evidently that ward radar is a lot stronger than I thought because I got the dreaded call from the Executive Secretary this past week. I've obviously been called to repentance regarding my church activity (my thoughts anyway) because I am the new Relief Society secretary. That wasn't supposed to happen - no one was supposed to notice me! I want to be stage crew rather than the actor! I don't want to teach a lesson, I don't want to visit, I don't want to plan anything. I hate finding out that it's not always all about ME. That totally bums me out.

Seriously though, this is not my first calling as RS secretary so I know what I'm up against. The other ladies in the presidency are awesome, funny, clever, and pretty spiritual too. I'm definitely the odd man out here. I wonder what would happen if I didn't attend any presidency meetings ... do you think anyone would notice?

3 comments:

snakeriverwalton said...

Haaahaaa

Adrian said...

Im sorry. They cant keep you in there too long can they...especially once they realize you have that nasty, bad habit...you know the one!!!

Gail said...

You will be awesome. That whole flying under the radar only works so long...i know.