A few weeks ago in Relief Society we had a sign up sheet to work at the Welfare Square Cannery. "What the heck?," I thought. "I can do that." (I think I must have been under the influence of crack cocaine at the time.) Anyway ... last night a sweet 87 year old lady in my ward calls me and asks if I want to ride with her to the Cannery. "What? Is that tomorrow?," I think. CRAP! What did I get myself into? Since I couldn't come up with an excuse fast enough, I told her that I would LOVE to go with her and that I would drive. Let's pause here for a couple of interesting points. First - I DO NOT do things with people that are not my family or my scrapbook friends. Second - I cannot find my way out of a paper bag when I am driving or walking for that matter. Third - CRAP - it's the Cannery and I don't want to go!
I sucked it up and picked up my riders (which had grown to TWO now). The ladies gave me directions and we found the Cannery. The experience was AWESOME. I was so happy that I could be part of such a worthwhile operation (after it was over). It made me feel proud of my church AND myself. I know, I know - I need to read the lesson on pride. We did spaghetti sauce today and only four people (me and my two riders and one man in my ward) showed up. We handled it! We put lids on the hot bottles and then we boxed the bottles after they were sealed and labeled. I personally made about 10,000 boxes myself. (That may be an exaggeration ...) We then went back in and did the lid thing again before returning to the boxing again. We rocked the Cannery! There were so many cute little older missionaries working and helping us. It was a great experience. I would definitely do it again. I'm not saying it wasn't tiring, but it wasn't bad. Please remind me of this the next time I'm high and sign up for the Cannery ...
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I hope you used your opportunity of giving to purchase some awesome cannery product at the same time. That's my favorite part. Well, next to the blessings, anyway.
Just don't get to comfortable hanging out with 87 year old women. We don't really like to share you that much and we always want you available for out little get togethers. Just kiddin, my friend. I'm glad it was a good experience and maybe I will even try the cannery, too. I always make up an excuse in my head when the sign up sheet comes around.
Post a Comment