Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What NOT to do if you crave control in your life ...

Last Saturday MOMD and I (along with another "leader" - and I use that term loosely) took four Cub Scouts to Cub Country. Holy Hannah! I did not do well. As you know I crave structure, schedules, and quiet. I want people to follow the instructions given to them. What we want and what we get are two entirely different things, aren't they? The poor Cub Country leaders were good kids and they tried so hard but no one listened! (Not even other adults that were there!!!) I was getting so frustrated that MOMD had to ask me a couple of times if I wanted to go get my book out of the car and spend some time reading. I would then realize I was just about ready to step over the edge of acceptable behavior. I would try really hard to take a deep breath and not say things under my breath about "no wonder the kids are so misbehaved, look at their leaders", "why doesn't anyone listen?" or "some people should not be allowed to reproduce".

Three of the four little cubs that we took were VERY well behaved and nice little boys. The fourth boy (the other "leader's" son) was OUT OF CONTROL. His dad was oblivious to everything. In fact, the dad left during lunch and didn't return until the end of our second class after lunch. (The reproducing comment was mostly directed to this gentleman.)

Our little boys had a great time and Cub Country would be an awesome place to visit if you were eight years old. It's not such a great place to visit if you are 51 years old and a control freak. :)

2 comments:

snakeriverwalton said...

I've been to cub country as well. Where on earth do you disappear to for hours? He must have gotten in his car and taken off somewhere. Some people.....

Gail said...

The dad that disappeared was actually reading your book in a quiet place. That drives me nuts when the parents are harder to control than the kids.