Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July!

I love the 4th of July! It's so goofy in our neck of the woods. (Just the way I love it!) We have a family in our area (I don't even know them) that put together a neighborhood parade every year. Kids decorate their bikes, mom and dad's pull their kids in wagons, and dogs walk with red, white, and blue bandannas around their neck. It's awesome! I love every minute of it. For some reason (and I kick myself in the butt for this) my kids never participated in the neighborhood parade. I guess we thought it would be stupid. We only found out about 7-8 years ago that it was the place to be at 10:00 on the morning of the 4th of July. It's one of the things that make our neighborhood special.

My mom and dad came over to watch, the neighbors sat on their curb on a blanket, and we sat on our front porch. My sweet boys are such good sports. They know it's a big deal to me, so FOS worked all night at his job, got home at 7:00 AM but stayed up until the 10:00 parade. FYS had just gotten home at 6:30 AM. (he was NOT working) but set his alarm so he could get up in time to come out and watch it.

I'm telling you - it's a real parade! Isn't this the sweetest thing you've ever seen?



This year was a little different as MOMD and my sister-in-law, Juanita, decided to be IN the parade. (Juanita is a good sport and supports MOMD with his weird ideas.) My grandpa and grandma had a pedal car that has been stored in my Aunt's garage for the last 14 years. This poor pedal car is about 40 years old (I'm not kidding) since I rode it when I was a kid. MOMD went and got the pedal car, took it to his brother's house (Juanita's husband) for a pedal car tune-up, and then we all decorated it for the parade. Juanita got candy to throw at the spectators along the parade route. What could be better? It was awesome! Here they are, and please notice how hot and trend-setting MOMD looks in his farmer outfit and old man hat. I've never loved him more.

This was one of my favorite entries as they return home from being in the parade - a riding lawn mower! Don't you love the 4th of July!

5 comments:

Gail said...

Well, I thought we had a pretty cool parade in our town, but I have to say you have us beat because we didn't have one riding lawn mower or even a pedal car! I love that MOYD and sis-in-law participated. We may have to come to your parade next year.

Life could not be any better. said...

...and might I add, we were the best ones in the parade. Forget about all the kids with their bikes, scooters, and the rollerbladers all decorated to show their patronage. A competetion to be the best, be in the front, be seen - Me and "H" were best by far. Next year we must wear costumes. And it was funny that they thought Kenny was Tracy. Teehee

Adrian said...

That is so cute! What fun. I just love Kenny. He is a silly, silly, man.

Shana said...

Hi Susan! I love this post! It looks so fun, it makes me want to start a parade in our neighborhood. Your husband cracks me up in that peddle car thing. :)

snakeriverwalton said...

one year there was a lawn mower brigade and they did all these synchronized lawn mowing moves in our IF, IF parade. It was awesome.