Sunday, January 25, 2009

A New Hobby(?)

So last year I kept toying with the idea of learning to quilt. Why, you may ask, when I have a closet full of scrapbook supplies that are not getting used, another closet full of yarn and knitting needles, and a basement full of various unfinished Relief Society projects? The answer to that question is: I'm looking for that perfect hobby ... or I just like to buy supplies (I haven't decided which is the correct answer, although I'm leaning heavily to the supplies side). Anyway, follow me, if you will, on my journey to quilting nirvana.

I mentioned multiple times throughout the year to MOMD that I'd like to learn to quilt. He bought me a gift certificate to a quilt store for Christmas (pretty thoughtful, huh?). Anyway, I went to the quilting store a few weeks ago. I told them my situation - I don't know how to quilt, I don't know how to sew, where do I start? The sweet little angel clerks told me I'd come to the right place. I needed to start with "Beginning Rotary Cutting". I'm off and running! (I Am Woman - Hear Me Roar!) I sign up for the $15 class with high hopes and visions of quilt wall hangings, quilts to pass on for generations, and somewhere in the back of my mind I'm thinking of becoming Amish.

I took my supply list and left those angel quilters. As I am leaving the store I glanced at my list. Of course I need a rotary cutter. I can handle that. A mat to cut on and a special ruler - no problem. Four different types of material (one light, one dark, one medium, and one to just practice cutting on) - I'm on board. One sewing machine ... RRRRKKK! (That's the sound of brakes slamming.) What the ...? I DON'T have a sewing machine! I don't sew! (Don't even ask me what I was thinking.)

I was actually thinking about buying a sewing machine for this stupid $15 class. I called the quilt store and said, "I need to buy a machine for this (stupid) class but I don't want to spend very much money because I DON'T SEW and WHAT IF I HATE IT? Suddenly (before my very ears) the angel clerk turned into some cackling witch. She told me that I would not be able to LEARN to quilt on a machine that was less than amazing and she began to rattle off all the features I would need on that wonder machine. Then she told me not to buy any fabrics at the area stores, but only to buy fabrics at the quilting store because of the quality. Yikes, I think I'm in over my head.

The next day I was off work so decided to go machine shopping/looking. I left my list at work of all the absolutely necessary features I needed on my new miracle machine (it was supposed to change my life) so I meekly called the quilting store again and asked the same questions as the day before. This time I got one of the angel clerks again who told me NONE of those "necessary" features were needed on the sewing machine (in fact, she didn't have some of them on her machine at home), she told me to get the cheapest material I could find to bring to class (since I was just learning) and pretty much told me exactly the opposite of what the cackling witch had said. I was so relieved ... not because I could buy a cheaper machine or cheap material, but because this angel clerk may possibly be my instructor at my $15 class (she wasn't).

I went to the store, plopped down my cash, and bought everything on the supply list. My $15 class has now cost over $400. I'm a little sick.

On the night of my class, I was so nervous that I got there 45 minutes early. (I won't even mention that the class started 20 minutes late because we were "waiting a few minutes for the stragglers"). I really enjoyed the class (after we got started) but I could have borrowed Wilma Flintstone's sewing machine for the class. We sewed two seams (we were supposed to sew three, but I didn't have time). The sisters sitting next me me brought this old black Singer sewing machine and said everyone always wanted to buy it because it was an antique. They shared the machine. Couldn't I have shared? Oh no, I bought my OWN machine.

After the class (which I think I enjoyed), I still didn't know how to quilt. I knew how to cut (which is hugely important) but I didn't know how to quilt. I wasn't sure of the next step and I was afraid to ask the angel clerks/cackling witches what to do next. I talk to MOMD and he had the solution! Every Wednesday MOMD goes to a guy's house to carve (or to play with his wood ... however you want to look at it). Anyway, the guy's wife is a quilter extraordinaire! MOMD set up a visit (without consulting me first). Oh crap! Why did I say anything - I don't do visits!

We went to this extremely talented couple's home and MOMD did not stay by my side, (where I wanted him) but instead went to talk with his whittling buddy. I'm alone with a stranger. (STRANGER DANGER!!!) She was extremely helpful and encouraging and told me it doesn't matter what the rules say, it matters what you like. What a relief! I don't even know what the rules are, let alone know how to follow them. She pumped me up and told me that she would be willing to help anytime (yeah, like that's going to happen ... remember the stranger danger?). She told me some other quilting stores to check out.

Have you ever been in a quilting store? It makes you smile when you walk in the door because everything is so cute, fun, matching, etc. I think I may buy a small project and give it a whirl.

Now to recap ... I really wanted a new hobby that I could pick up at a moment's notice instead of pulling out box after box of supplies. I really wanted something that would help me de-stress. I really wanted a hobby I could take when MOMD goes on his woodcarving class trips instead of my huge assortment of scrapbook supplies. Instead I got:

A sewing machine
Rulers and mats that are 36" long and need to be stored flat
Stress from taking a class (independence is not my strong point)
Stress from talking to the cackling witch woman
Stress from meeting the quilting wife
Stress from wondering where in the heck I'm going to put all this stuff ...
Stress from wondering if a sewing machine can be counted as a "carry-on" on a plane ...

Oh yeah, this quilting stuff is going to work out just dandy!

4 comments:

snakeriverwalton said...

I love it!! You are so like the rest of us with great ambition- I hope you can keep the mojo up and get a quilt done! I have a half finished crochet blanket I started for Rachel when I was pregnant (she's now 9), a quilted "sampler" piece I made when I took a quilting class in college (I needed a 1 credit no brainer but it was a killer on time) that still is folded up in a plastic container somewhere and needs to be backed, and many other multiple half starts to new hobbies. Please break the mold on behalf of all of us!!!

Ashley Baird said...

Oh, Susie Q....I can so picture you in that class with all of those thoughts going through your mind and wishing that one of your scrapbooking friends were with you for support!!!! You make me laugh lady. I am, however, very proud of you for doing something out of the ordinary for yourself. If you don't stick with it, maybe you can start now on the preparations for next year's Christmas cards, which by the way, were darling.

Gail said...

Oh, I love your stories and picturing you having stranger danger. I've always wanted to learn how to sew, but maybe I'll just forget about that little dream. :) There's nothing wrong with using duct tape to hem your pants, right?

Adrian said...

Hmmm...I cant relate at all. I finish everything I start and I never get in over my head. Dont even understand why we're friends! :)