Sunday, October 12, 2008

A Picture Really Is Worth A Thousand Words ...

I wish you could feel my heart when I look at this picture. It makes me immeasurably happy. How did I get so lucky to find this group of friends? It all started almost ten years ago when Ashley suggested a scrap booking weekend. Didn't Ashley know that I was insecure, that I didn't go anywhere without MOMD, and that I didn't hang out with friends? I guess she didn't know those things because she pursued it. I am so glad.

I am the mother of boys, the aunt of boys, and the sister of a boy. There are no girls in my life. I didn't hang out with friends. My family members were my friends. My life was full and I didn't think I needed anyone else.

I didn't realize I had an empty spot in my heart until I went on that scrapping weekend all those years ago. Beginning then and growing over time we have developed into sisters. We listen to each other, we counsel each other, we ask questions that we are too embarrassed to ask anyone else (even our doctors), but most of all, we are loved by each other. I did need more in my life and I'm so thankful that I found it with these friends.

It doesn't matter how much time has passed since our last visit or weekend getaway. We jump in as if we see each other daily. By this point we are pretty comfortable with each other (if seeing each other in pajamas, without a shower, and passing gas means you feel comfortable).
I think our differences are what make our group work. We have different religious views, political views, and we are in different stages of our life. I am older than this group (oh, so much older! - I could be these girls' mother) and hearing the stories about raising kiddos makes me wish I had appreciated my time more when my boys were little. Maybe that's one of our strengths - we all have different perspectives and feel comfortable sharing our ideas with each other. We don't need to impress each other and we don't try. How incredibly freeing!

The bottom line is this - I love these girls! Do you understand now why this picture makes me so happy?

5 comments:

Gail said...

Sue-you are such a sweetie. Our group wouldn't be the same without you and your hilarious sense of humor and your loving ways. We all look up to you and the relationship you have with everyone around you. I'm so glad you are in my life! Love Ya!

snakeriverwalton said...

This picture makes me happy too! And so does this blog!

Adrian said...

Love you. You win the blog awards for the best MOST BLESSED blog entry. Seriously though, I will come back and read this post over and over because it makes me happy and reminds me of how much I love my friends. Thanks Suzie...you said what I feel. (you might be the oldest of the group, but you cant tell....you look so young and BEAUTIFUL in the picture...and dont roll your eyes and think "oh gheez, whatever" when you read that!) Love you tons! BFF!!!

Adrian said...

Where are you Suzie? Did you decide to just stay and live in Disneyland?

snakeriverwalton said...

Hello.... are you still around? I need a post from you!